Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Come as You Are, as You Were, What You Want Us to See

We all project an image that is what we want the world to take us for. Sure, there are variations and extremes, but everyone does it.

There is a delicate balance when dealing with people and their affectations. I feel that it is more polite to see a person as what they want to be seen as. At the same time it is important to not be deceived by a more harmful affectation.

To be politely aware, I guess.

Not that the person one wants to be is necessarily invalid or false; it just adds complexity to one's character.

Besides, I think that the natural process of choosing the person we become is through these affectations. There are people we admire, traits we want to possess, and we make them our own.

I want to be like Uncle Iroh from Avatar...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I like your thoughts! Very insightful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    And yes, Iroh is AWESOME. I was re-watching the series a couple of weeks ago, and was frankly a little offended by the shallow comedic relief he provided in the first few episodes. It's all about season 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete